It’s incredibly easy to ignore the maintenance needs of your roofing system, contacting commercial roofers only when there are conspicuous signs of a problem. This approach to roof care can be problematic. For one thing, emergency roof repairs can be very expensive. What’s more, neglecting regular inspections and maintenance puts the rest of the building unnecessarily at risk.
The importance of proper and professional maintenance for commercial roofs cannot be understated. Unfortunately, many facility managers are prone to taking the “out of sight, out of mind” route when it comes to keeping their roof in good condition. Here are a few strategies from our commercial roofing experts at Alpine Roofing Construction on how to take better care of your roof.
Do You Really Need Regular Maintenance?
There are several reasons for preventive maintenance conducted by certified commercial roofers is important.
- Keeping ahead of roofing problems helps extend the life span of your roof. Most commercial flat roofs last for 20 to 30 years before needing replacement. You can add a good year or two (or five!) to your roof with good and regular maintenance. This saves you money on both repairs and replacement.
- The value of everything inside your building is higher than the cost of a full roof repair and certainly higher than the cost of regular maintenance. Therefore, it makes sense to keep your roof in good shape all-year-round than potentially risking damage to your tenants and their property.
- Retail shops with bins and pots out to catch the drips of a leaky roof are likely to lose business. Offices and other establishments can be hampered by faulty roofs. Save yourself the stress, hassle, and headaches of dealing with constant roofing problems by following your roof’s recommended maintenance schedule.
Managing Roof Maintenance
Fixing the roof when it’s starting to leak is hardly a maintenance plan. Our experts suggest starting a Roof Asset Management strategy, dedicated to three things: preventive maintenance, seasonal inspections and corrective action.
- Regular inspections can give you a good overview of the status of your roof. It also provides you the opportunity to spot potential issues before they become more serious. Seasonal inspections are equally useful as they can get your roof ready to face the changing weather conditions of different seasons. Schedule these appointments at least once at the end of spring and fall.
- Proper preventive maintenance done by skilled commercial roofers is the key to prolonging the life of any commercial roof. The cost of dealing with major roofing problems greatly surpasses the cost of regular maintenance, saving you more money in the long run.
- Corrective action means addressing the root cause of problems as identified by regular inspections. For example, if certain areas of your roof are experiencing more damage due to heavy foot traffic (usually around HVAC equipment on the roof), it would be useful to place walk pads and other protective layers around that area.
Professional Maintenance Programs
Many commercial roofing companies offer a maintenance program that can help you keep track of all the maintenance needs of your roof. This takes away the hassle of remembering all the important dates and schedules, making sure that you never miss out on any necessary appointments when it comes to roof care. Some programs even offer discounted emergency services for situations that require immediate action.
Keep your roof in peak performance with the help of our professionals at Alpine Roofing Construction, your leading provider of commercial roof repair, installation, and maintenance. Give us a call at (214) 528-9897 or fill out our contact form and ask about our preventive maintenance plans today. We serve properties in Dallas, Fort Worth, and Arlington, TX, as well as other nearby areas in Texas.