Asphalt Shingle Roof Installation & Repair in Dallas & Throughout DFW
Asphalt shingles are composed of a base material – organic felt or glass-fiber mat that provides support for the weather-resistant components that give asphalt shingle’s strength. Asphalt, fillers and surfacing materials in the form of shingle granules provide protection from impact, uv degradation and improve fire resistance. The most common form of asphalt shingles are strip shingles. They are rectangular with the most prevalent size being 12” wide by 36” long. Metric shingles are 13 ¼” by 39 3/8”. Strip shingles have three tabs that are exposed along the length of the shingle for visual effect and are called 3-tab strip shingles.
Shingles may be produced in a single layer or two or more layers. The latter are laminated strip shingles or architectural asphalt shingles (they have a three-dimensional appearance.) both 3-tab asphalt shingles and laminated asphalt shingles contain a strip of factory-applied adhesive that is activated by the sun’s heat after installation which seals each shingle to the next course. The seal strip also provides much of a shingle’s resistance to wind uplift. Shingles with factory applied adhesive have a strip of clear polyester film applied to each shingle to prevent the sealing strips from bonding the shingles together when packaged. When the shingles are installed, the self-sealing strips will not align with the plastic film strips and will bond to adjacent shingles. For this reason, the plastic film strips do not have to be removed.
Asphalt shingles have moved into the 21st century, offering modern shingles with class 4 impact resistance to give greater resilience to impact from hail and dimensional shingles which give the appearance of stone or tile. One of the leading asphalt shingle manufacturers is GAF.
GAF Timberline® ArmorShield™ II Asphalt Shingles
- Potential Insurance Savings – Passes UL 2218 Class 4 Impact Test, and may qualify for insurance discounts. Each shingle is labeled with special information needed to qualify for premium discounts according to the requirements of the Texas Department of Insurance.
- Excellent Wind Performance – Meets Class F wind rating from Underwriters Laboratories—the highest rating possible. Dura Grip™ Adhesive seals each shingle tightly and reduces the risk of shingle blow-off. Shingles warranted to withstand maximum wind gusts of up to 130 mph!**
- Impact Resistant – Passes UL 2218 Class 4, UL’s toughest impact test (shingles show no evidence of cracks or ruptures on front or back of shingle immediately after impact). Compare to “standard” shingles, which may have ruptures or cracks visible on the front or back of the shingle immediately after large hail impact.
- High Performance – Designed with Advanced Protection® Shingle Technology, which reduces the use of natural resources while providing excellent protection.
- StainGuard® Protection. – Helps ensure the beauty of your roof against unsightly blue-green algae
For more information in GAF Shingles click Here.
Contact Dallas for a roofing consultation. We can assist to choose the best Asphalt Shingles for your commercial or residential property.